Followers

Monday, January 26, 2009

Super Hero

Nathaniel Bronner Jr. -
Dr. Marilyn spoke at our staff meeting.
She took us through exercises as she worked to
get our minds and spirits adjusted to a more positive direction.
"Close your eyes and think back to when you were small. What did you want to be? What were your dreams?
What did you want to do?
Close your eyes and think back." she instructed.
I closed my eyes and thought back. I remembered what I wanted to be.Dr. Marilyn then told of her early beginnings as a writer. She told of the articles and the publishing successes that she experienced but so many of them were punctuated by,
"I didn't get paid for that."Her words struck me.
I worked in a corner drug store when I was very small. I was below the age limit to work but the store made an exception.
My father owned the store, thus the exception.I worked long and hard. I treasured my lunch breaks. Not so much for the food or the rest, it was what I did during my lunch breaks that I treasured.
I read comic books. I read the action books, not the romance or the comedies, action, pure action.When I closed my eyes and thought back,

I knew instantly what I had aspired to be.A Super Hero!Superman, Batman, Spiderman and Ironman were some of my heroes.In all of the action comics that I read, there were two distinct patterns. Those two patterns were in every action comic book that I can recall.
First, there was always a battle between good and evil. The battle was always tough. The battle was always a close call. No matter how strong or how many powers the Super Hero had, evil pushed him to the very limit and most times almost defeated him.Second, the Super Hero was never paid for his contribution to society; he always earned his living in his alter ego.Superman made money as Clark Kent, a newspaper reporter.Batman made money as Bruce Wayne,
a rich industrialist.Spiderman made money as Peter Parker, a photographer.Ironman made money as Tony Stark, owner of Stark Industries.None of them were paid for being a Super Hero and the contributions they made as Super Heroes.As I listened to Dr. Marilyn state how she had never been paid for many things, a light popped on in my mind.
"The real Super Heroes don't get paid for the Super Hero stuff!"I pastor a church and have never accepted a salary or taken up love offerings for myself.
It's correct to be fairly compensated but I, like Paul, simply choose not to.I am the editor of MountainWings and the AirJesus.com websites, and I don’t get any money for that either.
I realized as my eyes were closed that it is Super Hero stuff and my dream has been realized.You've got Super Hero stuff too.
ParentingVolunteeringHelping a stranger or friend in needDoing anything beneficial that takes time, effort, energy or resources and where you expect no monetary return is Super Hero stuff.
Use your powers well.

Received from - A Good Friend . Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment